FULL-TIME REFERENCE ASSISTANT (Timmins Public Library) (Competition No.: LIB-2019-06)
Temps plein • Timmins Région
Under the direction of the Assistant Library Director, this position performs a number of duties to assist the Reference Department in the fulfillment of its mandate to provide reference service to the public using a high standard of customer service.
1. Provides reference services (French and English) to the public using the reference interview to: respond to general and reference enquiries, search library databases, assist patrons in navigating eResources and troubleshoot computer issues. (Services provided in person, over the phone and online)
2. Utilizes library and community resources to locate and provide information requested by users, performing bibliographic searching and research as required
3. Assists and instructs patrons in developing skills required to locate, evaluate and use resources effectively
4. Conducts library orientation tours
5. Provides reader’s advisory services to assist the public with their choice of reading materials, engaging readers in discussions about books
6. Contributes to determining program needs for adults, young adults and children
7. Prepares, develops, delivers and evaluates programs (either in the Library or in the community)
8. Partners with individuals and community organizations to prepare and deliver programming content
9. Creates and/or designs promotional materials, instruction guides, pathfinders and displays to support the library’s collections, services and programs
10. Contributes to collection development in the adult collections through weeding and acquisition recommendations
11. Interacts with elementary, secondary and post-secondary schools and students: liaises with school personnel, schedules and conducts class visits in schools or at the library, provides guidance to students during library visits, participates in school events as appropriate
12. Prepares and instructs digital literacy sessions for patrons at all levels
13. Directs patrons to print/electronic resources and legislation for three levels of government (Federal, Provincial, and Municipal)
14. Acts as consultant and advisor to users in all matters relation to Information Literacy – (identification, retrieval and evaluation of information, irrespective of format for study, personal or professional use).
15. Participates in data entry projects
16. Compiles statistics on program attendance, reference inquiries and types of services provided
1. Completion of a Bachelor’s Degree or Library Technician Diploma from an accredited community college/CEGEP
2. Must be self-motivated, self-directed and service oriented.
3. Strong teamwork skills
4. Demonstrated ability to work independently, to manage time effectively, to organize work and meet deadlines
5. Demonstrated excellent analytical, interpersonal and communication skills with co-workers, management and the public
6. Able to write clearly and concisely
7. Broad knowledge of print and e-resources
8. Demonstrated ability to write and speak with groups in school settings
9. Evidence of leadership ability, professional initiatives, flexibility and willingness to try new ideas.
10. Able to act as spokesman for the library
11. Able to work effectively with adults, young adults and children
12. Aware of federal, provincial and municipal government structures and resources
13. Demonstrated effective written and research skills
14. Ability to present the Library’s policies to the public in a positive and helpful manner
15. Proficiency in both official languages is required
16. Knowledge of database indexing an asset
17. Current and clear Criminal Record Check required
Terms: 35 hours / week (Evening and weekend hours involved)
Salary: $24.11/hour (2019) (In Accordance with the CUPE Local 434-1 Collective Agreement)
All applications must be received in the Human Resources Department by 4:00 p.m. on the closing date of August 30, 2019.
BY MAIL: 220 Algonquin Boulevard East, Timmins, ON P4N 1B3
HAND DELIVERY: 236 Algonquin Boulevard East, 2nd Floor, Timmins, ON P4N 1B2
VIA FAX: 705-360-2685
VIA E-MAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: 705-360-2628 www.timmins.ca
Although we may have your application on file, you must re-apply for this specific competition.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only candidates under consideration will be contacted. The City of Timmins is an equal opportunity employer in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code. The City of Timmins will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. Personal information provided is collected under the authority of The Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. Pour de l’information en français, veuillez appeler le 360-2600, poste 2312.